- About Plume
- IMPORTANT SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS – SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS
- Appliance Precautions
- INSTRUCTIONS PERTAINING TO A RISK OF FIRE, ELECTRIC SHOCK, OR INJURY TO PERSONS
- Fragrance Cartridge Precautions
- MOVING AND STORAGE INSTRUCTIONS
- Estimating Cartridge Life
- Appliance Location
- OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS
- Setting Up the Cartridge
- General Care
- Cleaning and Maintenance
- Ambient Scenting
- Product Marketing
- Odor Control
- Aromatherapy and Performance Scenting
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Welcome to a whole new world of air treatment from Prolitec, the technology leader in air care with scent. The Plume appliance is the most advanced residential air-treatment system on the market today. It is the world’s first fully adjustable consumer air-treatment system engineered to serve indoor spaces ranging in size from 10 to 1,000 square feet (0.93 to 92.9 square meters).
Plume is a patented, computer-controlled, always-on system capable of maintaining a constant, uniform and controlled level of scent. The basic technology of Plume has been tested and proven in demanding commercial environments such as retail stores, malls, hotel lobbies and other public spaces where scent is used to enhance the environment, market a product, or erase an odor.
The beautiful design blends well into any environment. Multiple appliances can work together in the same space.
Plume can use 100V to 240V power sources via the provided power supply. It is simple to install and adjust for specific room size, airflow conditions, and desired scent intensity. Minimal maintenance is required beyond the periodic change of the disposable fragrance cartridge, inspection of the cartridge seal, and a simple wipe down or dusting of exterior surfaces. Once installed in the right location, Plume will outperform any other system, providing completely uniform scent distribution.
Plume’s advanced technology creates a scent effect with a smaller quantity of fragrance ingredients than any other method. The chemicals employed in making Plume fragrances are fully compliant with the most restrictive air-quality and inhalation standards. Plume generates no harmful VOCs and uses no ethanol or propellants. Quite simply, used as directed, Plume is the greenest, most eco-friendly way to introduce scent into an interior space with no negative impact on indoor air quality. This is not an accident. The scientists and engineers at Prolitec are committed to the highest ecological and human safety standards.
This User Guide is easy to read. It is also important to read. Plume is a high-performance appliance that, installed and used correctly, will meet the most demanding requirements.
WARNING – When using electric products, basic precautions should always be followed, including the following:
- Read all the instructions before using the product.
- Children should be supervised not to play with the appliance.
- Do not put fingers or hands into the product.
- The appliance must be operated in an upright or vertical position.
- Never put your nose to the output of the Plume. Within 12 inches of the output, the fragrance is highly concentrated. The improper inhalation of high concentrations of fragrance may cause irritation including watery eyes, headache, cough and upper respiratory discomfort.
- This appliance is not intended for use by persons (including children) with reduced physical, sensory or mental capabilities, or lack of experience and knowledge, unless they have been given supervision or instruction concerning use of the appliance by a person responsible for their safety.
- Plume must be used only with the approved and included power supply.
- The appliance is built to be plugged into an 110VAC or 220VAC power outlet.
- The UL and CE compliant power supply converts power to 15V DC to power the appliance.
- The appliance must only be supplied at Safety Extra Low Voltage (SELV).
- If the supply cord is damaged, it must be replaced by the manufacturer, its service agent, or similarly qualified persons in order to avoid a hazard.
- Unplug before cleaning.
- Use only Plume fragrance cartridges.
- Read the Consumer Product Safety Information Sheet and the Material Safety Data Sheet provided with each cartridge.
- The concentrated nature of the fragrances may make the scent difficult to remove from hands and skin.
- Wash your hands after all contact with cartridges or fragrance.
- If there is contact with the eyes, irrigate the eye with fresh water for 5 minutes. If there is any eye irritation, consult a physician immediately.
Remove Plume from the box. The following items should be included:
- Plume Appliance
- Power Supply
- Remove the cartridge.
- Unplug the appliance.
- Store at -4°F (-20°C) to 158°F (70°C), 5% to 95% humidity
- Location: Plume is designed to be used as a tabletop or shelf-top unit.
- Service Area: The service area range of Plume is from 10 to 1,000 square (0.93 to 92.9 square meters). Of course, this can vary significantly depending on airflow, number of fresh air changes per hour, temperature and humidity. Plume can be adjusted from 1 to 10 to accommodate these variations.
Estimating how long a cartridge will last is critical to your fragrance experience. This includes determining the number of Plumes needed for a space. The chart below can be used as a rough guideline.
Room Volume Range
These settings are suggested as a starting point. Start on the lower end of the range and adjust after 15 minutes. Room size, number of fresh air changes per hour, temperature, humidity, and user preference will determine the final setting.
- Placement of Plume appliance is the KEY TO OPTIMAL PERFORMANCE. It is important to identify a location where the output of Plume can use, rather than fight, the natural air currents in a room.
- In general, Plume should be positioned near the air-conditioning supply grill.
- Plume MUST NOT be placed near an HVAC return grill, exhaust fan or vent, or an open door or window through which air is leaving the space.
|Remember, you want to work with the natural air flow, not against it.|
- Prepare the cartridge.
- Remove the big plug from the air-intake port on the bottom of the cartridge. But do not remove the absorbent pad.
- Remove the small plug from the top port of the cartridge.
- Insert the cartridge onto the air stem.
- Plume is an electronic appliance. Treat it like a laptop.
- Do not place or store Plume or its cartridges in extreme heat (more than 130˚ F) or in freezing temperatures.
- Do not drop Plume on the floor. Do not drop it in or position it near water.
- Do not paint or otherwise try to alter the color of the outer cover.
- When shipping, pack in the original box and place it in an outer cardboard box.
- Always keep the plugs in cartridges when not in use.
- Always remove the cartridge before transporting the appliance.
- Plume requires little or no maintenance.
- Unplug the appliance before cleaning.
- Wipe the surfaces with a damp cloth to remove dust.
- If the air stem seal is torn or damaged, contact customer service.
Plume is used to enhance indoor air quality by neutralizing odors and introducing and maintaining a scent in the air. This is accomplished by blending ultra-low concentrations of odor neutralizers and fragrance ingredients into air. In fact, Plume is fully effective with concentrations of less than 1 part per million (ppm). This means that for every 1,000,000 molecules there is only 1 molecule of fragrance.
There are four basic commercial applications for the technology used in Plume: ambient scenting, scent media, odor control, and aromatherapy. These applications are different in terms of their objectives, but they all employ the same combination of Prolitec’s proprietary air-treatment chemistry and computer-controlled delivery system.
Ambient Scenting is the use of a scent alongside other design elements in a space to help create or enhance its ambience. In this application, scent is comparable to visual elements such as graphics, colors, materials, textures and shapes as well as auditory elements like music. With ambient scenting, a carefully selected fragrance is used to enhance themes, animate visuals, make a tree or a flower smell like a tree or a flower, and many other uses. Major brands are using scent to extend and animate their brand by associating a scent experience with a brand, like a hotel chain using ambient scenting to make all their lobbies smell like the same scent.
Indoor air quality and the overall ambience of a space can be substantially improved with the introduction of a pleasant scent. Scent can cause humans to recall a brand with positive feelings and communicate brand values. Scent can create inviting environments that attract retail customers, improve employee productivity, and make all the occupants feel positive about their experience in the space.
Of all the senses, the sense of smell is the most powerful trigger of memory. Hotels, casinos, retail establishments and other businesses seeking to provide a positive experience that clients will recall and repeat should use scents to enhance indoor air quality. The use of a signature scent to extend the brand image is a powerful tool for the sophisticated marketer.
Typical areas where Ambient Scenting is used:
- Retail Stores
- Hotel Lobbies
- Clubs and Bars
Product Marketing is the use of scent as a medium of communication in advertising and promotion of certain products for which scent is a primary element or feature. Presenting the scent of a scented product to customers at the point of sale is the most powerful way to sell any product with a scent including fine fragrances; soaps, detergents and fabric softeners; lotions and potions; scented health and beauty aids; food products like coffee, fruits, and baked goods; and other fresh and aromatic products.
Prolitec appliances are used as an automated presentation and product-sampling system to deliver the exact aroma of a scented product throughout a store or at the point of sale. For example, enabling the client to experience a fine fragrance, personal care or home fragrance is the most effective way to sell it. In this way, Prolitec appliances deliver a true and complete experience of the scent to clients and passersby without intrusion.
One of the most challenging problems in indoor air quality is bad odors. Bad-smelling places have a negative emotional impact on all the occupants of the space. Prolitec’s proprietary odor-remediation chemistry is capable of blocking the human ability to detect most malodors and replacing these odors with pleasant scents. Prolitec’s proprietary air-treatment chemistry and the accompanying computer-controlled delivery system are rapidly becoming the standard solution for difficult odor issues in several industry sectors.
Typical problem areas that can be addressed by the same technology found in Plume include:
- Garbage-compaction areas
- Areas adjacent to cooking and food preparation
- Swimming pools and adjacent areas
- Workout facilities
- Elevator shafts
- Hotel hallways
It is well known that scent has a powerful impact on human emotion and behavior. The use of scent to influence human emotion is just like Ambient Scenting but with a specific objective for the occupants of the treated space. The use of scent and the essential oils of flowers, herbs and trees to promote health and well-being is the established branch of alternative medicine known as aromatherapy. It is also recognized that scent can be used to optimize performance in the workplace. The benefits include reduced errors in routine functions, increased employee sense of well-being, higher morale, improved customer service and overall improved productivity.
Prolitec aromatherapy chemistry can help make a workspace a more comfortable and appealing place to be. As examples of the positive effect of aromatherapy on the workplace, below are results of several relevant studies:
- A 1991 study demonstrated that “sustained attention tasks” were performed with greater accuracy by the participants in scented rooms compared to those in the non-scented control rooms.
- Another study found that fragrance had a dramatic and positive effect on a proofreader’s efficiency.
- It is commonly known that the Tokyo Stock Exchange diffuses peppermint into the air in the afternoons to make the brokers feel invigorated.
How does Plume work?
Plume uses a patented technology to convert liquid fragrance compounds into tiny droplets less than 1/100th the diameter of a human hair. By comparison, an aerosol droplet is 100 times bigger and 1,000,000 times heavier. Plume droplets present 100 times more surface area to the air being treated, which means much less fragrance is used to create the scent effect. Plume’s tiny droplets are extremely light so they float easily into the air and disperse throughout a space to create an even scent effect.
What size room will Plume handle?
Plume is fully adjustable for different size rooms. Plume is effective in spaces from 10 to 1,000 square feet (0.93 to 92.9 square meters).
Where can I place Plume?
You must place Plume on a flat surface where it can take full advantage of the natural air currents in the space.
Do I need to adjust Plume?
Yes! Plume is a powerful machine that can handle small and very large rooms. If it is set too high for the room size, it can cause discomfort for some people. Adjusting is simple. Take the time to do it right.
How do I adjust Plume?
With the power cord plugged in you can adjust Plume up and down using the dial on the front. ALWAYS START WITH A LOW SETTING and adjust upward in small steps.
How strong should I make the scent?
Less is more. Plume allows you to erase odors and use only a small amount of scent. Unlike most other air fresheners, Plume is adjustable. Use this important feature.
ALLOW 30 MINUTES TO ASSESS the scent strength after starting or adjusting. It is best to assess strength when you first enter the room from another room.
How about safety? Is Plume safe to use with children and pets?
When used as directed, Plume is the safest air freshener available. Of course, it is important to read the Material Safety Data Sheets enclosed with each cartridge.
How does Plume differ from aerosol room fresheners?
The more expensive aerosols can produce a very pleasant scent, but only for a few minutes and in very high concentrations just in the area they were sprayed. Plume is what is known as a “continuous action” air freshener. Plume is always on and delivers an evenly distributed scent throughout the room.
Is Plume eco-friendly?
Yes, Plume is the most eco-friendly air freshener on the market. Unlike aerosols, Plume uses no propellants and produces no harmful volatile organic compounds, or VOCs. Unlike many air fresheners, Plume uses no ethanol or similar solvents to enhance the evaporation of fragrance chemicals.
Always keep plugs in cartridges when not in use. If you have misplaced the plugs from the cartridge being removed from Plume, you can use the plugs from the new cartridge being inserted.
 Dr. Joel Warm and Dr. William Dembar. “Olfactory Stimulation and Sustained Attention.” Compendium of Olfactory Research, (Dubuque, Iowa: Kendall/Hunt Publishing Co., 1995) p. 47.
 Mark Kilauga et al. “Consumer Panel Study on the Effect of Peppermint and Lavender Fragrances on Proofreading.” Compendium of Olfactory Research, (Dubuque, Iowa: Kendall/Hunt Publishing Co., 1995) p. 131.